The art of being still.



 For me, movement isn't just needed to maintain my sanity and to calm the little voices in my head, but it's become so much of a way of life. Being a former classical musician I always kept myself busy, running from one rehearsal to the next, practicing for hours upon end, shuffling from audition to audition, the occasional concert, movement was needed to keep up. And you can forget about self-care, what's that? But this movement was really just a static, a way to fill the void. All way to create noise to cover the voices in my brain, casting a shadow on my unhappiness in my profession, even the self-hatred of my own physical body.

The hours of practice and performing with repetitive body mis-alignment took a deep toll on me physically. These days, as my classical performance career is behind me, my movement is work, my movement is Yoga, HIIT, walking, anything I can do to make me feel like I'm utilizing my body to it's fullest. I'm sure you can imagine that the years of bodily abuse has made me increasingly vigilant about how I treat my body, and how often I move. So naturally, these days, an hour on the couch not only gives me complete anxiety, but also makes me feel as if I am accomplishing nothing. It's not that I don't want to be still, but that for me, activity equates to success, it equates happiness.

After my first blog post, where I asked you to do something to fill your cup (me included), I went ahead and booked a weekend retreat in the Rocky Mountains the weekend prior to our 200 hour, 8-week long, Teacher Training started. Teacher Training programs are my life, they are the reason I do what I do, to help inspire future teachers to create and facilitate change on this earth. Yet how can I expect to 'pour from an empty cup'? I'm still, slowly learning, at the age of 33, how to take care of myself, and for me, that means being ok with being still, soft, and quiet. That creating space isn't necessarily a bad thing, it can be wonderful, when you truly begin to listen.

Naturally, I had an agenda for this weekend. I wanted to read 3 books, to color, to string a new mala, practice Yoga, try out some different fitness classes, in addition to some meditation, hiking, and finally, relaxing in the Hot Springs. You can laugh now. Who goes away to the mountains with a check-list?? I do!

Of course my mind wouldn't read the first book, so I moved on to the next..nope, the English wasn't making any sense. Finally, picked up the third, and same thing. My mind...it was shut off. My favorite lesson that I've learned practicing Yoga throughout these years, is that we must learn to be flexible. Just like water, we mold to the shapes we're being asked to move into, with ease, and grace. So with ease and a little resistance, I took this as a sign that I just needed to be, to observe, and exist. It wasn't in my plan, but it worked out wonderfully. I leaned into a space of letting my mind go and spent my time being outside, using my eyes to revel in the beauty in front of me, to feel the brisk breeze and sun on my face. I finally gave in and allowed myself the little space it needed begin to start filling my cup up with a warm pot of Earl Grey tea.

The best part about these lessons, is that they are oh so slight. If you do not take the time to notice the shifts and the changes, you could miss them. But they are there. These lessons are in our everyday life and it's up to us to open up our eyes, soften our minds, and just like water, shape shift to each and every experience. You do not know where the next transformation lies.

Are you ready to pay attention and be still?

To encourage this stillness in our bodies, it is so essential that we incorporate a softer Yogic approach to our lives, at times. Some of my favorite poses to still my mind and make space in my body are below, enjoy!

Legs Up the Wall
can be done with legs literally up the wall, or with a block under your sacrum (not to be confused with your low back). Flex your toes to your face, strengthen your quads, and allow your tailbone to anchor strong into the block.

 Supported Bridge
with block under Sacrum. Allow our sacrum to root strong into the block, walk heels in, option to bend your elbows and face them towards the ceiling to open your chest.

 
Supta Padangusthasana/Reclined Hand to Big Toe Pose (variation) -
this variation is great for resistant hamstrings in addition to releasing hip-flexor tension, be aware and careful, as the block is once again placed under your Sacrum. Loop the strap to the top of your foot, avoid pulling on the strap, create some slack, and allow gravity to do the rest. Keep your shoulders down and bottom heel anchored to the earth.

Parivrtta Supta Padangusthasana/ Revolved Reclined Hand to Big Toe Pose (variation)-
Start with the previous pose, keep your bottom heel rooted to the earth, and the grip on the strap easy, begin to draw your leg outwards. Keep your toes flexed, scoop your lifted leg's butt cheek under to externally rotate your hip. Keep your opposite hip grounded into the block.

The best part about this series, is it can all be done in succession, before you close out your day, or if you need a little time to ground down at work.

Comments

Popular Posts